In this interview, Tim McDonald discusses with Carol his life path and the challenges that have transformed his relationship with fear. Recognizing how it held him back, he talks about how embracing his fear helped him get unstuck and leave a toxic job, end a 17-year marriage, move to a new city, and meet his life partner.
Tim talks about how acceptance, advocacy, and compassion have helped him cope with his challenges, including a life-threatening stage 4 colon cancer diagnosis. Tim is open with and embraces the audience as part of his community as he shares the difficult aspects and gifts of what he is going through.
Tim McDonald is the former Director of Community at Huffington Post, Founder of My Community Manager, and Director of Communications for Social Media Club Chicago. Tim works with organizations and individuals who are stuck and helps them to get them unstuck. He helps people connect with their voices and stories. He is also a speaker, consultant, and facilitator of workshops.
- Early lessons in confronting and dialoguing with fear
- The right to change your mind
- Understand that we cannot know all the answers and outcomes
- Relationship with fear
- Rational fear – finding the healthy aspects
- Irrational fear – learning to reframe your thinking
- Receiving THE diagnosis
- Educating and advocating for yourself
- Converting “Why Me?” to “Why Not Me?”
- Modern Medicine vs. Holistic Medicine – room for both
- Community, compassion, and impact
- The gifts of the journey
- Tools for dialoguing with fear